Toronto homeowners suffer from flooded basements every year. If the basement of your residence is below the main water supply line of the city, then this phenomenon is common during rains. The basements are usually a dark, less-ventilated place where you can do nothing about rising water levels. This stagnant water then transforms into the breeding spot for rodents and bacteria.
To help the residents of Toronto fight their flooding basements, Santos Plumbing Services bring you one of the most efficient solutions – a sump pump.
What Is a Sump Pump?
Basically, a sump pump is a pump that is placed inside a sump pit. It can be submersed beneath the water and performs the all-important drainage function. It is actually the soul of the sump system for drainage during rain emergency. The sump pump system comprises of three major components – a sump pump, a sump pit and the discharge pipe.
How Does It Work?
Once the water level starts rising, it will first fill the sump pit. This pit is connected with a ‘weeping tile’ system that runs around the whole house and this is the reason why it fills first. Soon the groundwater level of water will start rising, and sump pit will be loaded with water. Once this happens, the automatic sump pump will activate and begin pumping the water out. The water that is pumped by the pump is taken out of your property with the help of a discharge pipe. As soon as the water level recedes, the sump pump deactivates on its own.
Installation of a Sump Pump
The installation of a sump pump is carried out in the following steps:
- First our reliable plumbers will dig a hole for the sump pit. The sump pit is the primary step in the installation of a sump pump.
- This hole for the sump pit is dig at the lowest spot of the basement floor or wherever the water accumulates the most. Once the digging process is complete, we then install the sump pit (also known as the sump basin) in it. It is nothing but a plastic bin that carries water and also the sump pump.
- After placing the sump basin, we then install the sump pump inside it and make way for the discharge pipe.
Can a Sump Pump Work in the Absence of Power?
Thunderstorm is one situation where the need of a sump pump is felt the most. Often, there is a risk of power outrage during thunderstorms. To keep the pump working even in the absence of power, we make sure that there is a dedicated battery backup for the pump. With the help of a battery, a sump pump will be able to work normally even when there is no electrical power.
Maintenance of a Sump Pump
A sump pump plays a fundamental role in your abode’s drainage system. Any kind of breakdown can occur in case the pump is not maintained efficiently. Some common types of maintenance checks a person can carry out to maintain the sump pump are:
- Test the working of your pump every time, before the rainy season begins.
- Disconnect the plug and thoroughly clean your pump every year. For cleaning the pump, first make use of rubber gloves in order to collect all the debris inside.
- Check the pipes to find out any leaks. If there are leaks, then you can fix them either with some water resistant adhesives or get the faulty pipe replaced.
- Also, have a close look on the electrical connections. Loose or unprotected wires can pose a great electrocution threat. Always remember to switch the plug off, before you make any electrical inspections.
Need of a Sewage Ejector Pump
A sewage ejector pump builds an easy path of drainage for both – solids and liquids. Sometimes, one cannot install proper drainage facility just because the main drain is at a height. Since, gravity won’t work in our favour here; therefore a pump will come in handy. It pushes the water to the appropriate drain; thus ensuring the proper functioning of the installed fixtures.
People get confused regarding which pump they should install. According to us, your ideal sewage pump should depend on how much sewage you are going to pump. Generally, the sewage pumps we install have the horsepower in the range of 0.5 and 1.
Common Issues with Sump Pumps
Sump pumps don’t need regular maintenance. According to our experienced plumbers, the following issues can crop up in a sum pump:
- Weird Noises: The pump can make some weird noises if the vent or the pump is damaged due to excessive backflow of sever water.
- Always Running: If the pump doesn’t stop working ever then either of the two reasons may be the culprit. Either the pump is trying to pump out excessive water, or the pump has suffered a break down.
- Failure during Thunderstorms: Sum pumps can fail during thunderstorms, but that mostly happens when the pump is under a lot of stress. This is the reason why plumbers advice to install a backwater valve.
We, at Santos Plumbing Services, provide the best solutions regarding day-to-day drainage and plumbing problems. Our plumbers are well trained and experienced professionals who are accustomed to all kinds of problems that plague residential and commercial plumbing systems.