Oh no! One of your pipes has burst and now you don’t know what to do. Well, if so, don’t panic, you have come to the right place. Burst pipes are the result of plunging temperatures and icy water. A burst pipe can create a puddle of water in your home that will surely be demoralizing. It rattles the best of us. Take a deep breath and just simply follow these simple instructions while Toronto plumbing experts reach you to provide professional assistance:
- The first thing you need to do is call your plumber right away and continue with these steps to minimize the water damages. Remember, you need to act fast as it can make the difference between minor and extensive damage.
- Have a bucket with you to collect any dripping water. If you find that leaking water leading your ceiling to sag, use a broom handle to flat the bulge and let the water collect in the bucket.
- Shut off your main water immediately. This will reduce the wastage of water and prevent further water damage to your property.
- Open up your pipes to drain the water from your plumbing system.
- Make sure you turn off your central heating and air conditioning system to prevent an electric shock.
- Shut off the electricity completely if you find that the leak have affected the electrical switches or wires.
- At this point, with the water and power supply shut off, you can try to temporarily patch the leaky pipe and prevent the further damage until your plumber enters the scene.
- This is all you can do yourself, rest let the plumber come and handle the situation.
- If you find water leaking into a basement or any other enclosed space, remove the furniture and any other valuable items as soon as possible as standing water can damage your belongings.
- If there is standing water in the basement, start removing the water soon with the help of a sump pump or a dehumidifier.
- Make sure you air dry you home by leaving the windows and doors open.
Burst pipes are a common and preventable menace. So, relax if you happen to face such situation. Plumbing emergencies can happen at anytime. Which is why, it is important to have the contact details of a reliable plumber in your phone book. You may find various plumbing services in Toronto claiming to be the best drain and plumbing service providers. But, it is advised to check the company profile carefully and select the company that meets your plumbing needs.
When it comes to burst pipe repair or replacement services, Toronto residents rely on Santos Water. Our qualified and trained plumbers will prevent your issue in a timely and discreet manner.