If basement floods are quite in your house, then you should install a sump pump. Maybe more than one. Sump pumps are meant to prevent the water that gets inside your basement either through seepage around the foundation or due to a high water table. The benefits of installing a sump pump are numerous while the negative impact of ignoring water problems is expensive and long lasting.
Plumbing & Sump Pump Go Hand in Hand
Sump pumps are not an option or precautionary measures anymore, they have become an absolute necessity. If you are not sure whether or not you should install a sump pump try to answer these questions first:
- Is your basement moldy and damp?
- Does your house area have poor drainage?
- Do you live in a rain and snowfall prone area?
- Is your basement notorious for developing musty smell?
- Do you experience flooded basements during rainy season?
If you answered ‘yes’ to most of these questions, it’s high time to install a sump pump. Failure to install the system can result in:
- Health hazards – When you allow mold to thrive in your basement, you are basically taking huge risk with your health. There are some types of molds that are extremely dangerous to our health. In addition, damp areas are breeding grounds for various bacteria which can be hazardous.
- Property damage – Chronic water seepage and leakage can harm the structural integrity of your home, leading to expensive repairs. Moreover, if you have a well-maintained basement, water leakage can cause immense damage to the carpets, drywall, wiring and anything you have stored there.
- Loss of home value – A leaky basement not only acts as a health hazard, rather it also lowers the value of your home. Most of the people avoid buying a house with a leaky basement to avoid any costly repairs in the future.
- Foul odors – When you avoid installing a sump pump to your plumbing, you would invite the generation of foul and musty odors that would spread throughout the entire house.
If you think that your basement may have water issues, don’t wait until the last minute. Call our experts at Santos Water. Our plumbers in Toronto will assess the situation and recommend you the accurate solutions. We will be glad to help you.